"The host takes excellent care of visitors, even on wheels! A valuable and rewarding experience, especially for those curious to learn more about the history, religion and customs of Anuradhapura and Sri Lanka." - Miller | August 2017 | View All Reviews
Highlights & Features
- Explore the ancient monastic city of Anuradhapura with your expert guide.
- Cycle around ruins of the island’s first kingdom on lesser-known trails.
- Hear fascinating tales of Buddhist life, history, engineering and architecture.
- Includes: Host, bikes, helmets, refreshments.
- Times: 8:30am or 3:00pm, 3 - 4 hours.
- Children: 8+, baby seat or tuk tuk possible.
- To wear/bring: Clothes/shoes for cycling.
The Full Experience
Travel around the ancient citadel of Anuradapura by bike and discover the ruins of its monastic complex and whilst learning about the lives of its inhabitants.
Begin your cycle amongst local paddy fields, following your expert guide around Anuradhapura’s archaeological marvels and ingenious irrigation systems. Weave along hidden paths to ancient jungle-enveloped structures, neighbouring local villages. Pedal beside soaring stupas including Abhayagiri Dagoba, the largest Buddhist monument in the world. After a break at the Elephant Pond (Eth Pokuna) continue on a picturesque stupa-fringed cycle beside Basawakkulama Reservoir. Here, witness the local life this tank still supports and visit the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi tree, one of the most sacred Buddhist relics in Sri Lanka.