"The local host arranged for Galle was a 5 Star! He not only showed his knowledge of the place and professionalism, but also showed genuine interest in what he does and who we are." - Jackie & Pierre | January 2019 | View All Reviews
Highlights & Features
- Explore the evolution of the fort through colonisation and trading routes.
- Understand why the fort was awarded UNESCO World Heritage Status in 1988.
- Multi-cultural influences are around every corner, testament to a diverse heritage.
- Includes: Your host.
- Times: Flexible but avoid midday, 1.5 - 2 hrs.
- Children: Older kids will find interesting.
- Wear/bring: Cool clothes, sunscreen, water.
The Full Experience
Take a guided walk around Galle Fort, meandering through gridded streets, hearing captivating stories and walking the grass-clad ramparts.
Meet your host in the morning or evening to escape heat in the fort and discover how the city was named and the changes the fort went through as the Dutch and British followed in Portugal’s footsteps. Pass by roads whose names are a legacy of colonial times, majestic buildings steeped in history and learn of its evolution from the times of battle and eastern traders. Climb the bastions overlooking Galle’s celebrated cricket ground or watch children play inside its walls! Delight in stories of myth and history, hear about the impact of the 2004 tsunami left, before ending at the iconic lighthouse overlooking the Japanese Peace Pagoda.